Sunday, August 31, 2025
  • en English
  • ar العربية
  • Login
Iraq News
  • Home
  • News
    • Breaking News
    • Local
    • Regional
    • International
  • Sports
  • Arts & Entertainment
  • Technology
  • Business & Economy
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Breaking News
    • Local
    • Regional
    • International
  • Sports
  • Arts & Entertainment
  • Technology
  • Business & Economy
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
No Result
View All Result
Iraq News
en English ar العربية
No Result
View All Result
Home Regional
Israel army says Gaza City now 'a dangerous combat zone'

EDITORS NOTE: Graphic content / TOPSHOT - A Palestinian woman carries the body of a child outside Shifa hospital in Gaza City where casualties of Israeli fire were transported ahead of their funerals, on August 29, 2025, as the war between Israel and the Hamas militant movement continues. The Israeli military declared Gaza City "a dangerous combat zone" on August 29, as it prepared to conquer the Palestinian territory's largest city after almost two years of war. (Photo by BASHAR TALEB / AFP)

Israel army says Gaza City now ‘a dangerous combat zone’

AFP by AFP
August 30, 2025
in Regional
0
0
SHARES
2
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The Israeli military declared Gaza City “a dangerous combat zone” on Friday ahead of a looming offensive to conquer the Palestinian territory’s largest city after almost two years of devastating war.

Israel is under mounting pressure at home and abroad to end its offensive in Gaza, where the vast majority of the population has been displaced at least once and the United Nations has declared a famine.

The Israeli military, however, is gearing up to expand the fighting and seize Gaza City, with its Arabic-language spokesman saying on Friday: “We are not waiting.

“We have begun preliminary operations and the initial stages of the attack on Gaza City, and we are currently operating with great force on the outskirts of the city,” Avichay Adraee said on X.

Late on Friday, Israeli military chief Lieutenant General Eyal Zamir said in a video statement his forces were “enhancing the strikes in the Gaza City area, and we will intensify our efforts in the coming weeks”.

The UN estimates that nearly a million people currently live in Gaza governorate, which includes Gaza City and its surroundings.

The UN declared a famine in Gaza governorate last week, blaming “systematic obstruction” by Israel of humanitarian aid deliveries.

A military statement on Friday said that Gaza City now “constitutes a dangerous combat zone”, and daily pauses in military activity that had allowed limited food deliveries would no longer apply there.

The military did not call for the population to leave immediately, but Adraee said earlier this week that the city’s evacuation was “inevitable”.

In southern Gaza City on Friday, AFP footage showed Palestinians picking through the wreckage of a building following an Israeli strike.

Mohammed Abu Qamar, 42, who is originally from Jabalia camp in northern Gaza but was heading south, said his “heart is burning”.

“We don’t want to leave our home. We’re exhausted,” he told AFP by telephone. “Death is closing in around us.”

– ‘Fear chases us’ –

In a statement on Thursday, COGAT, the Israeli defence ministry body that oversees civil affairs in the Palestinian territories, said it was undertaking preparations “for moving the population southward for their protection”.

Aid groups on the ground have warned against expanding the military campaign.

On Friday, Philippe Lazzarini, head of the UN’s Palestinian refugee agency UNRWA, warned that there were “nearly one million people between the city and the northern governorate who basically have nowhere to go, have no resources even to move”.

Abdul Karim Al-Damagh, 64, told AFP he was heading south and that it was the fifth time he had been displaced.

“Today, once again, I must abandon what remains of my home and memories… The south may be a bit quieter than here, but it’s not safe — fear chases us, and death is always near,” he said.

Spokesman Adraee said the military would intensify its strikes until all hostages held in Gaza were returned and Hamas was dismantled “militarily and politically”.

The military said it had recovered the remains of two hostages during an operation in Gaza.

It identified one as Ilan Weiss, who was killed in the Hamas attack that triggered the war and his body taken to Gaza. The name of the second hostage has yet to be released.

Hamas warned Israel that its planned offensive in Gaza City would subject hostages in the area to the “same risks” as its fighters.

“We will take care of the prisoners the best we can, and they will be with our fighters in the combat and confrontation zones, subjected to the same risks and the same living conditions”, the spokesperson for Hamas’s armed wing, Abu Obeida said.

Of the 251 hostages seized during the October 2023 attack, 47 are still being held in Gaza, around 20 of whom are believed to be alive.

– ‘Endless’ horrors –

Gaza’s civil defence agency reported at least 55 people killed by Israeli forces across the Palestinian territory on Friday.

Asked for comment by AFP, the Israeli military requested coordinates to look into the reports.

Media restrictions in Gaza and difficulties in accessing many areas mean AFP is unable to independently verify the tolls and details provided by the civil defence agency or the Israeli military.

UN chief Antonio Guterres has condemned the “endless catalogue of horrors” in Gaza, calling for accountability and warning of potential war crimes.

Hamas’s October 2023 attack resulted in the deaths of 1,219 people, mostly civilians, according to an AFP tally based on Israeli figures.

Israel’s retaliatory offensive has killed at least 63,025 Palestinians, most of them civilians, according to figures from the health ministry in Hamas-run Gaza that the UN considers reliable.

acc/kir/dcp/gv

© Agence France-Presse

Tags: conflictisraelpalestinians
ShareTweet
Previous Post

Palestinian Authority urges US to ‘reverse’ refusal of visas for UN meeting

Next Post

Trump still working for Putin-Zelensky meeting: White House

AFP

AFP

AFP, or Agence France-Presse, is a major international news agency headquartered in Paris, France. It is one of the world's oldest news agencies, founded in 1835. AFP provides news coverage in various formats, including text, photos, videos, and graphics, in multiple languages. The agency operates with a global network of journalists and regional hubs, aiming to deliver impartial and verified news worldwide.

Next Post
Trump still working for Putin-Zelensky meeting

Trump still working for Putin-Zelensky meeting: White House

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest News

Indonesia protest blaze kills 3 as anger erupts over driver death

Indonesia protest blaze kills 3 as anger erupts over driver death

August 30, 2025
Education Minister Sets September 1 as Start Date for Teaching Staff

Education Minister Sets September 1 as Start Date for Teaching Staff

August 30, 2025
US to refuse visas to Palestinian officials at UN summit on state

US to refuse visas to Palestinian officials at UN summit on state

August 30, 2025
North Korea's Kim consoles families of troops killed fighting for Russia

North Korea’s Kim consoles families of troops killed fighting for Russia: KCNA

August 30, 2025
US appeals court finds Trump's global tariffs illegal

US appeals court finds Trump’s global tariffs illegal

August 30, 2025
NEWS IQ

Covering the top local and global news from trusted sources across a wide range of topics — with accuracy and balance.
Follow us daily and stay informed with daily updates.

News

  • Breaking News
  • Local
  • Regional
  • International

Others

  • Sports
  • Arts & Entertainment
  • Technology
  • Business & Economy
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • About Us

Tags

accident ai aid britain canada china climate conflict diplomacy druze economy eng entertainment environment eu fbl france gaza germany health hezbollah iran iraq israel japan kurds lebanon media music nuclear pakistan palestinians politics rights russia syria tariff trade trump turkey ukraine un us weather yemen

© 2025 Iraq News. Web development by AdamoDigi.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Breaking News
    • Local
    • Regional
    • International
  • Sports
  • Arts & Entertainment
  • Technology
  • Business & Economy
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • en English
  • ar العربية
  • العربية (Arabic)
  • English