Thursday, May 21, 2026
25 °c
Baghdad
29 ° Fri
31 ° Sat
32 ° Sun
31 ° Mon
  • en English
  • ar العربية
  • Login
Iraq News
  • Home
  • News
    • Breaking News
    • Local
    • Regional
    • International
  • Sports
  • Arts & Entertainment
  • Technology
  • Business & Economy
    • Business & Economy
    • Business Ideas (Iraq)
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Breaking News
    • Local
    • Regional
    • International
  • Sports
  • Arts & Entertainment
  • Technology
  • Business & Economy
    • Business & Economy
    • Business Ideas (Iraq)
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
No Result
View All Result
Iraq News
en English ar العربية
No Result
View All Result
Home Sports
Champions League last 16 - ثمن نهائي دوري أبطال أوروبا

Leverkusen players applaud their fans after the UEFA Champions League play-off, second-Leg football match Bayer 04 Leverkusen vs Olympiakos in Leverkusen, western Germany, on February 24, 2026. (Photo by INA FASSBENDER / AFP)

Champions League last 16: Newcastle, Atletico and Leverkusen seal qualification

NEWS.IQ by NEWS.IQ
February 25, 2026
in Sports
0
0
SHARES
8
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Champions League last 16 qualification was confirmed on Tuesday for Newcastle United, Atletico Madrid and Bayer Leverkusen after decisive results in the play-off round. The Champions League last 16 lineup now includes six English clubs alongside Spanish and German contenders.
The three clubs advanced with varied performances yet secured the results needed to move into next month’s knockout stage draw.

Newcastle cruise past Qarabag with big aggregate win

Newcastle United completed their progression with a 3-2 home win against Qarabag to secure a dominant 9-3 aggregate result. The tie had been effectively settled in Azerbaijan last week when Newcastle led 5-0 at halftime and won 6-1.

Early goals settle the match

Sandro Tonali scored early after a rebound and Joelinton finished a cross from Harvey Barnes inside six minutes. Coach Eddie Howe rotated his squad, leaving first-leg standout Anthony Gordon on the bench, and later expressed frustration at the second-half performance which he described as lacking intensity.

Qarabag restore pride

Qarabag had upset Benfica and Eintracht Frankfurt earlier in the competition. They pulled two goals back through Camilo Duran and a penalty rebound converted by Elvin Jafarguliyev. Sven Botman headed in Newcastle’s third goal between Qarabag’s strikes.
The Azeri champions set an unwanted record after conceding 30 goals this season in the competition. Newcastle now await either Barcelona or Chelsea in the next round.

Sorloth hat-trick sends Atletico

through Atletico Madrid reached the last 16 after a confident 4-1 win over Club Brugge, securing a 7-4 aggregate victory. Norwegian striker Alexander Sorloth delivered a standout performance with a clinical hat-trick at the Metropolitano.

Atletico respond under pressure

Brugge equalised through Joel Ordonez after Sorloth’s opener and threatened again before halftime. Atletico regained control through a powerful strike by Johnny Cardoso.
Sorloth added two more late goals following assists from Ademola Lookman and Matteo Ruggeri. The striker now has 15 goals across all competitions this season.

Simeone focuses on next stage

Coach Diego Simeone praised Sorloth’s form and said the club will wait to see whether they face Liverpool or Tottenham in the next round. He emphasised the importance of reaching the last 16 again.

Leverkusen advance after goalless draw with Olympiacos

Bayer Leverkusen secured passage to the last 16 after a 0-0 home draw against Olympiacos, completing a 2-0 aggregate win. Although below their usual level, the German club controlled the tie after their first-leg success.

Leverkusen frustrated with performance

Captain Robert Andrich said the team lacked energy and speed, noting that only the clean sheet was a positive. Jonas Hofmann added that coach Kasper Hjulmand would not be satisfied with the overall performance.

Olympiacos fall short despite motivation

Olympiacos rested key players in the domestic league to focus on progressing in Europe. Their owner Evangelos Marinakis had reportedly promised a major financial reward if they reached the last 16.
Leverkusen nearly scored through Alejandro Grimaldo who struck the crossbar. The hosts lost Lucas Vazquez to injury late in the game.
Leverkusen will face either Arsenal or Bayern Munich in the next round.

Conclusion:

The Champions League last 16 field continues to take shape after decisive results across Europe. Newcastle, Atletico Madrid and Leverkusen now prepare for significantly tougher tests in next month’s knockout phase.

ShareTweet
Previous Post

Brazil torrential rains kill 23 in Minas Gerais with dozens still missing

Next Post

Bodo/Glimt Champions League shock as Inter Milan crash out

NEWS.IQ

NEWS.IQ

Iraqi News is an independent news platform that provides carefully edited news content sourced from a range of trusted media outlets. The platform gathers reports from established news agencies and media sources, and presents them in a clear and neutral manner, with a strong focus on accuracy, clarity, and credibility. Iraqi News is designed to offer a reliable and straightforward reading experience, allowing readers to follow current events through content brought together in one place.

Next Post
Bodo/Glimt Champions League

Bodo/Glimt Champions League shock as Inter Milan crash out

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest News

Shatt al-Arab salinity treatment - معالجة ملوحة شط العرب

Water Resources Minister discusses Shatt al-Arab salinity treatment and strategic water studies update

May 20, 2026
drug smuggling balloon Diwaniya - تهريب المخدرات بالون الديوانية

Diwaniya police thwart dangerous drug smuggling operation via flying balloon carrying 120000 pills

May 20, 2026
China Russia relations solid partnership - العلاقات الصينية الروسية راسخة

Xi Jinping praises solid China-Russia relations and agrees with Putin on treaty extension during Beijing talks

May 20, 2026
Iran strikes next week preparation

Wall Street Journal reveals US and Israel preparing Iran strikes next week amid failed negotiations

May 20, 2026
internet cutoff national exams - قطع الإنترنت الامتحانات الوزارية

Iraq Communications Minister announces internet cutoff from 6 to 7:30 AM during national exams

May 20, 2026
NEWS IQ

Covering the top local and global news from trusted sources across a wide range of topics — with accuracy and balance.
Follow us daily and stay informed with daily updates.

News

  • Breaking News
  • Local
  • Regional
  • International

Others

  • Sports
  • Arts & Entertainment
  • Technology
  • Business & Economy
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • About Us

Tags

afghanistan aid army britain china climate conflict defence diplomacy economy eu fbl france gaza germany hamas health hezbollah iran iraq israel kurds lebanon military nuclear pakistan palestinians politics protests qatar rights russia saudi sudan summit syria toll trade trump turkey ukraine un us venezuela yemen

© 2026 Iraq News. Web development by AdamoDigi.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Breaking News
    • Local
    • Regional
    • International
  • Sports
  • Arts & Entertainment
  • Technology
  • Business & Economy
    • Business Ideas (Iraq)
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • en English
  • ar العربية
  • العربية (Arabic)
  • English